Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Year of Action: My Health Plan for 2009

I sat down and nailed out all of the particulars. I feel good about my plan. I think it is a good lifestyle plan. My only hesitation and caution is I don't want to fall deeply into "diet mentality" and perfectionism. I'm hoping to avoid those triggers by setting realistic weight loss goals as well as only weighing myself on the first Saturday of each month.

I'm calling this year The Year of Action because last year was The Year of Inaction where I took my love of avoidance to the extreme. I'm exhausted from all that avoiding. It wears me out. At least with action or hard work, I can feel good about accomplishing something at the end of the day rather than the nonstop feeling of pressure and unease because I spent so much time avoiding.

So, here's the plan in all of its detailed glory:


The Year of Action

What is my health plan?

After months and years of indecision, I’ve decided. I’m going to follow the 6WBMO plan with my modifications. I’m going to exercise 6 times a week? (or at minimum 4 times a week) either to a DVD, at my parent’s house, at the gym or outside. I’m going to record my weight and my waist measurements, but they are not the signs of progress. My signs of progress are whether I’m eating and exercising well, how my clothes fit, what my energy is like and what my mood is. The weight loss is simply a by product of healthy living.

My spiritual and emotional health has to be intact as well. I’m going to study the scriptures and pray each day.

Short-term goals:
For two months to keep my exercise and eating goals, so when I go in for my blood tests with the doctor on March 6th these stats will be improved

  1. Exercised at least 4 times a week
  2. Stayed away from dairy, wheat and sugar in a modified allergy diet.
  3. As I progress with this diet, see if I can also cut out corn and oats as they are on my food intolerance list
  4. Ingest brown rice and red potatoes only a few times a week instead of every day.
  5. Improve my HDL levels to a normal, healthy level
  6. Normal glucose response—in healthy glucose levels so out of insulin resistance.
  7. Improve my Vitamin D levels to normal range


Long-term goals:

  1. Lose 200 lbs. in the next 20 months
  2. Maintain a healthy weight (within a 5-10 pound range) for five years

Eating plan:

1. Eat 5-6 times a day following 6WBMO plan
a. 2 oz. lean protein with each meal
b. 1-2 cups of veggies 2-3 times a day
c. ½ cup fruit 3 times a day
d. ½ cup carbs 2-3 times a day
e. Fats: good oils, raw nuts and seeds, avocados
f. Almond milk and almond cheese
g. Low salt, fresh, whole foods, cooked at home
h. 1 small piece of great dark chocolate daily, but only may be savored
i. Drink 100-150 oz. of water a day (4-5 bottles, 32 oz. size)

2. Foods I will seek out:
a. Lean proteins: turkey, chicken, fish, eggs, grass-fed beef (periodically)
b. Good carbs: yams, squashes, red potatoes, brown rice, spelt, rye, (caution on corn and oats—need to temporarily cut these out for food intolerances)
c. All veggies: spinach, onions, garlic, all greens, broccoli,
d. Lots of fruit, especially apples, all kinds of berries, kiwi, peaches, pears, nectarines,

3. Foods that make me sick, tired, bloated, fat, depressed and overweight
a. Sugar and sugary sweets, treats and desserts
b. Processed foods: chips, candy, crackers, breads, pastries, cookies,
c. Fast food: burgers, fries, sandwiches, chips, soda,
d. Wheat
e. Dairy

4. Foods that I eventually have to eliminate for a few weeks for my food allergy elimination diet
a. Corn, oats
b. Citrus


Exercise plan:

  1. Exercise 4-6 times a week
  2. Walking at least 3 times a week
  3. Pilates DVD and yoga DVD another 2-3 times a week
  4. Possibly rebounding (little trampoline)
  5. Strength training 2 times a week
  6. Stretching and flexibility 2 times a week
  7. Exercise in the morning, first thing

Stats:

  1. Measure days of exercise as well as time spent
  2. Record food in online diary
  3. Weigh once a month at beginning of month
  4. Measure waist, hips, breasts at beginning of month

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails