Friday, February 15, 2008

What I'm Eating this Weekend

I just got back from a late-night haunt of the grocery store. There have been too many days in a row of subpar food in my life. How do I know this? Because I'm hungry and never filled despite what I eat. Because not one fast food or dining out option even sounds fun. Because I crave beauty with my food, not just food. Because I can sit for hours perusing a cookbook wishing I could eat this or that or that or this. Because nothing in my life is going quite right and it seems like it is time to get back to the earth, the cycle of life, the nourishing, feeding, joyous, celebration-filled reclamation of meal time. Because I'm hungry deep down to my very toes and I know this kind of hunger will never be filled by mounds of chocolate, chips, sandwiches, or semi-meals. This kind of hunger takes time, patience, and effort to really fill me up.

In that vein then, I went to the grocery store armed with a few recipes and a couple of yummy ideas. And this is what I've come away with:

My Weekend Meal List:
  • New York Breakfast--smoked salmon on toasted rye bread with cream cheese, cucumbers, tomato and dill
  • Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata--an egg and veggie quiche with the sharp tang of cheddar cheese to top it off
  • Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon and Apple Cider Dressing--it just sounds yum to me!
  • Blueberry blast--a fruit smoothie with blueberries, honey, yogurt and almond milk
  • Oven fried potatoes--red potatoes cut in strips and seasoned with paprika, salt and garlic
  • Oven baked chicken--a version of fried chicken that is more healthy than harmful and it looks and sounds simply delicious.
I think there will be some lovely meals this weekend that combine both beauty and taste and make my heart and my mouth sing. YUMMMMMMEEEEEE!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails