Saturday, February 21, 2009

If I Was a Mother I'd Be a Granola

I've decided to embrace my inner tree-hugger. I was reading an article the other day about cloth diapering and I realized I'm a bona fide granola eco-mama . . . and I'm okay with it. 

If I was a mother today these are the things I am interested in and likely would be doing: 
  • cloth diapering
  • home birthing
  • doula and midwife assisted birth
  • no vaccinations
  • homeopathic medicines
  • homeschooling
and the things I'm doing now
  • clean, whole, real foods
  • clean water
  • recycling
  • green cleaning supplies
  • supplements
  • exercise (or at least I'm trying)

I had to laugh as I put this list together. I think I've always been a closet, earthy-friendly, green-living, back-to-nature kind of girl. I was listening to the radio on the way to work the other day as they talked about vaccinating your children by the age of two, I was having arguments with the radio host and his guests despite the fact that they couldn't hear me. 

Then at a church activity the other day, I took issue with the fact that all we seem to feed children at these activities is white flour, sugar and hydrogenated oils. Why? Why don't we give a smidgen of thought to their health? I know I'm not going to be able to control everything like that in my children's lives but it bothers me when we don't even give a thought to feeding children such things. 

Then finally, when I read about cloth diapering of my own accord the other day and I was fascinated with the topic, I realized that if I ever married and had the sweet opportunity of having babies, I was going to be a complete eco-centered earth mama. It just seems to be my passion and at the center of my thoughts so often that I'm going to admit it freely and be open about it. 

It's just time I faced facts.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails