Friday, April 3, 2009

Stocking the Pantry

I watched an Oprah show once where Dr. Oz went into people's homes and checked out their pantries and fridges and cupboards and helped them to restock them with whole, real foods. He also suggested ways that they could improve their meals. Sometimes when I go shopping I like to wonder what Dr. Oz would think about what I'm bringing home to my pantry. I'd like to see what ways my daily diet can improve. 

One thing I've figured out since going on this allergy-free diet is that most of the time in my life I've relied on fast, convenient foods. If I bought crackers, they were the first thing I ate. If I bought bread it also was gone first. If I had chips or popcorn or any food like that, it was the first food I ate each day and every day. Then what was leftover was the rest of the veggies and some fruit. I would pick through that food until I could go to the store and buy my favorite convenience foods again. 

This allergy-free diet leaves very little room for convenience foods. I do occasionally buy rice cake (organic brown rice) but that and canned beans are the closest things that I have to convenience foods. Everything else has to be prepared in some way. I think that is part of the reason that I go back and forth between starving and eating. It takes time to prepare good food. It is an art that I'm gaining great insight into right now. 

Fortunately, I felt a bit inspired last night when I looked at my fridge and pantry and I'm excited for the possibilities. So, here are the raw materials that I'm using to come up with good food this week. 

mushrooms
asparagus
tomatoes
peppers
cucumbers
spinach 
salsa
onions
garlic


eggs
ground turkey
small roast chicken
chicken breasts
frozen wild salmon

almond butter
fruit jam

blackberries
blueberries
peaches
pineapple
apples

almond milk
coconut milk
chicken broth

black beans
pinto beans
brown rice and wild rice
red potatoes
yams

olive oil
grapeseed oil

almonds 
pecans
pinenuts

almond flour
coconut flour
Dagoba chocodrops

I wonder what Dr. Oz would have to say if he came to my house today? 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails